View Single Post
Old 01-28-2017, 07:12 PM   #65
10/10ths
"50 Years of 550 Spyder"

One last thing...

...and then I'm done. Really.

I own a 1990 Mazda Miata, a very early build. My car is one that has what the Miata community calls a "Short Nose Crank", google it.

All of these cars are supposed to be ticking time bombs, with crank shafts that WILL snap at any moment. If you read the forums, you shouldn't even think about adding an aftermarket turbo to one of these.

My car has 285,578 miles on her, and she has been running 12 pounds of turbo boost since she had about 50,000 miles on her. She has a Flyin' Miata aftermarket turbo kit on her.

We've driven this car all over the country with zero drama.

Every time a fellow enthusiast sees my car and strikes up a conversation, the "short nose crank" issue comes up and every time, they are shocked that my car hasn't given me any trouble.

So now I go out and buy one of these "time bomb" Boxsters. With the Boxster, I didn't temp fate. I replaced the IMS immediately upon purchase.

So, I've been the guy who "doesn't worry, be happy and drive" and I've been the paranoid freak who immediately dropped big money on preventive maintenance.

Choose your poison.

But wasting time on the "why" of it, just seems like a waste of time.

I could list a dozen different cars that have some percentage of catastrophic failures.

You can't mass produce machines this complex, and sell them to people all around the world, without some of them blowing up at some point.

Now I'm done.

550 SE #310---"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow."
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote