View Single Post
Old 01-27-2017, 08:17 AM   #4
Nine8Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The early cars, such as the 97, had a TSB out on them warning against using wheels larger than 17" which can cause chassis cracking near the suspension mounts. This problem was corrected in the later cars by reinforcing the chassis areas with thicker metal, which eliminated the problem. And while I'm sure someone will chime in that they have been running 22's on their car without problems, we have seen more than one car with chassis cracking from using bigger wheels.
Saying this with respect but this has nothing to do with wheel size. Are there any max wheel weight threshold available anywhere? If 'true' that the wheel on its own is the issue then Porsche would have released those weight/ratio figures.

Instead of covering up a faulty structural integrity simply caused by down-force on the '97 (in my uninformed opinion mind you). Unless a silly wheel is heavier than the constant downforce these car cope with at speed then I'm clueless man