View Single Post
Old 01-23-2017, 10:22 AM   #11
Smallblock454

Hello JayG,

for track usage i would recommend M030 with M030 sway bars. The M030 sway bars are thicker and stiffer. A stiffer Sway bar gets you less wavering, the car is more stable and you have more traction.

If you have too much understeer you could use the stock ROW swaybar in front and the M030 sway bar in the rear.

Camber:
I think you talk of -2 deg in front an rear. Maybe OK for AutoX on lower speeds, but think too much for a real raceway and DD usage. Especially on DD usage this will kill and eat your tyres. Negative camber makes your car nervous on ruts. -2 deg will it make very nervous in daily usage on straights; especially when braking and having ruts. Also it might cause the tyres to loose grip on the track if they get too warm. So it's very important to find the right tyre.

Rims & tyres:
I personally would prefer 17" with the M30 as DD. With 18" it's too stiff for my taste as a DD. For DD i would go with 225/255 17 instead of stock 205/255 17.

I think it's important to reduce unsprung masses. So look for light rims and if you have the choice for light tyres (which are often more expensive).

Tyres:
Over here in Germany it's important that the tyres have an approval for street usage. I don't know the regulations in the US / you state.

Very important to choose the right ones. And with the right tyre gum combination you also can reduce understeer. If you use a little softer tyre with a little bit more neg camber in front and a medium tyre in rear with normal camber this will help prevent understeer. Also an older tyre (DOM) in the rear and a newer in the front can be enough to reduce understeer.

But be warned. It's a mid engine car. So understeer is also build in for safety and drivability.

Tyre idea (not shure if these tyres are available in the US, maybe named different):
225/45 R17 Federal 595 RS-R
255/40 R17 Federal 595 RS-R

Might be a little too soft for you climate, but they are cheap and they have grip. They need a little bit more steering lock angle, because of the tyre profile.

I would recommend to talk to your local tyre dealer. Best would be someone who is also in committed to racing. Or just talk to the guys you are racing with.

Think for the german market i could do better tyre recommendations, but for the US market honestly not.

Hope that helps anyway. Shure that guys from the US can give better infos.

Regards, Markus

Last edited by Smallblock454; 01-23-2017 at 10:24 AM.
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote