View Single Post
Old 01-21-2017, 10:07 PM   #22
Nine8Six

Wheel Hub Adapter (start)

The part below will be the wheel hub adapter.

It threads & secure itself inside of the cap and meant to clamp the whole cap assembly onto the hub geometry of the wheel. As you can see I am using the traditional clamping style that, well, Porsche and many other automakers are using already. I’m guessing there is a reason for this widely used concept so no point going all creative RE hooks, clips, or new ways to get this to clamp. Let’s stay focus lolll

I won’t lie, I’ve already tough up this part quite a while ago. Often I’ve heard complains about how difficult it was to install the previous CGT style caps and many said “it got to be a better way”. So there, I’ll finally comply with this and provide in the best of my capacity.

The material we’ll be using for this part alone is Acetal (Polyoxymethylene, or Delrin if you prefer). Acetal is possibly ranking Top 1 in its group of engineering plastics and for many reasons (you can read about it). Not exactly cheap, in fact The Most Expansive in its class, but at least we’ll be 100% sure that the part will last for minimum half a century and perform in literally any environments. E.g. whether you roll my cap in Alaska at below 40deg Celsius or Texas at above 40, The Great Center Cap is going to stay on your wheel and perform its task without any complains.

I personally love Acetal because it is magical to machine. If you are familiar with its thermal expansion behavior, you can achieve tolerances of 1~5micron on this thing without much efforts (not joking). Something I’ll need to do for the matting of the threads with those of the cap, you’ll see why later.

I’ll soon explain the method I’ll be using to “thread lock” Acetal with the aluminum cap using its thermal expansion properties. That’s right; thermal expansion is occasionally an “advantage” for engineers, not all negative!

Nuff blah, it’s all about visuals (and Cheese Toasts in between)!

And off to the part validation (CAE). Lot of work there :/ The ring in front of the adapter represent the exact same geometry of the Porsche wheel hub. Same shape, size and tolerance (0.05mm) and used for non-linear clamping analysis.