Thread: Creaking strut
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #12
ttomtom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer Boy View Post
How many miles on the car? If it is over 60K, then I recommend replacing the shocks, mounts, and bump rubbers while you have it apart. In fact, I recommend you replace the shocks as well, since they are probably shot by that point.

I'm also guessing that the creaking sound you heard is not the strut mount, it's the control arm that is making that noise.

When these cars get very many miles on them, the suspension parts all wear out rapidly. My car was making all kinds of noises, and with 144K on it, everything was shot. I replaced every part in the suspension except for the rear toe control arms, and now it is quiet and a pleasure to drive.
Only 47k. All four control arms were changed by the previous owners at 38K. Everything is tight no suspension noise at all apart from that creak.
Btw I could eliminate the creak by rotating the centre top strut mount nut a bit. The shaft turned with it. And as it was rotating it made the same creaking noise. That's how this thread started. I suspected that the shaft shouldn't turn in the mount.

The shocks seem good at least if I push the car down it comes back without bouncing. Is there a better way to check them? Once they are apart I'll see how easy it is to push them down and how fast they come back.

How can I check the bearings?

I'll also check the rubber boots and stops and bearing.

Last edited by ttomtom; 01-17-2017 at 10:17 AM.
ttomtom is offline   Reply With Quote