Thread: Creaking strut
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2017, 11:20 AM   #4
ttomtom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesD View Post
I wouldn't have thought it should be possible to turn the nut half a turn in each direction. The nut tightens the top of the strut shaft to the inner metal part of the strut mount. This is bonded to a round 'doughnut' shaped piece of rubber which is bonded to the metal mount that actually bolts to the car. A mounting in good condition is very stiff and resists rotation. Rubber on rubber or rubber on metal sound would point me to a mounting that has perished/split rubber or rubber that is starting to part company with the metal. I replaced mine at 18yrs/68000 miles. They weren't making a noise but they were starting to show these problems. Try pushing down on the car whilst looking at the nut - if it moves upwards noticeably I'd also question the condition of the strut mount.

Thank you for your reply. I was a bit exaggerating when saying both freely turns and that I could turn half a turn. I've just checked them again and I can turn both max 1/4 turn and it requires some force. It makes a clear a rubber sound when turning and it requires more force as I turn it more after a while. Can it just be the rubber stretching? The car has only 47k miles.
ttomtom is offline   Reply With Quote