View Single Post
Old 01-13-2017, 04:21 PM   #18
JayG
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkInProgressK View Post
Worst case. Probably isn't the right FOB.

I have the same issue. From what I read on the WWW, they have a life span. Over a certain number of uses they lock themselves or stop working(not sure which is true). Just like butt dialing, you can ?key dial?. That is the most compelling reason I have seen.

You can purchase a new one for around 125$. But to have it programmed by an Indy-tech, you need the immobilizer codes. Allegedly you can get them at the dealership. This is where I stopped. I haven't gotten around showing up at a dealer yet.

I believe the Pro version of the durametric can program also, which is what most indy- techs have I presume.

I just wanted to add. The key has an RFID for the mechanical side. That should be very easy to duplicate because of the nature of the function. To be honest tapping into the RFID system & tumbler with aftermarket FOB would be more cost effective in the long term. A screwdriver with the proper RFID would start the car.
For starters, a Durametric WILL NOT program the immobilizer for a key. It can ONLY be done with PWIS or PST2 and even if you have one of those, you need the special security codes that only a dealer can get

If you can find a fob with barcode for $125, that is a great deal. The best $ I have found is $137. Without bar code, its useless

I have never heard that a fob just stops working after a certain number of uses. Switches may wear out and boards start to fail, but not at a certain number of uses

As far as the RFID, its a little "pill" in the key fob and easily moved from one to another
If you want to mess with this on your car, be my guess. Its not worth it

There are many threads here and other forums about key fob programming and replacememnt
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote