View Single Post
Old 01-09-2017, 07:59 AM   #25
CrisZenithBlue

i realize i never gave a final update on this. i did a lot of trial and error until i got the suspension setup to where i wanted it to be but it's a true road huger now.

to have enough spring travel/compression i simply had to make sure the ride height was within specs for the coilover set. using the instructions provided by the manufacturer (who was very helpful) also included in this thread somewhere by some of you i managed to set it up so that the front springs have sufficient travel to do their job. i'm also keeping the damping to all the way stiff then dial it back a quarter of a turn so it stays nice and tight, i dont like the bouncy bouncy of the softer setting and while stiff it's not jittery or anything. i was actually expecting the interior to have more squeaks and rattles but it really doesnt, guess these things are screwed on pretty well for convertibles. my S2000 was a RATLLE MONSTER and i never got that thing to be more civilized.. then again that wasnt the point of the car. but i digress

so lowering the car to keep it within specs and stiffer dampening did the trick and i never really have issues with it topping out unless i hit a pretty deep ditch in the road or a pretty big lip or something at high speed but i wouldnt hit those things hard even with stock suspension. admittedly it's lower than what i would like it to be but it's not impractical and i only have to be careful with the steepest ramps which can be negotiated by hitting them at a bit of an angle. all very manageable and it just demands a bit more attention while driving which is welcome, keeps the focus on the road ahead.

was it a pain in the ass to dial in? oh yes indeed! but i got on this path in an effort to learn more about suspension and settings which i have and to have a more customized drive, things that matter to me. i could have slapped on a sports suspension and call it a day but where's the fun in that?
another consequence of the lower ride is that i have a fairly aggressive alignment. 2.5 neg camber in the back (i couldnt get it any less due to the car being low) and 1.4 neg in the front with witch i'm happy.
i get no rub anywhere, fender liner is unscathed no matter what i do and the best part is this thing now rides very nice. very composed in the high speed turns, no body roll and it takes a heck of a lot more to get it to squeal its tires or get out of line.

things i would have done differently? buy a coilover set that has separate height adjustment independent of the spring compression which i might do in the future but for now i'm a happy camper. there's just something about being able to carve through a 90 degree turn not even considering touching the brakes and it makes the gt3 seats even more appreciated being busy holding you in place.

i'll post some pics when i get a chance.

thanks to all that helped out on this great forum! what a great community!

Cristian
CrisZenithBlue is offline   Reply With Quote