View Single Post
Old 07-17-2006, 05:44 PM   #6
deliriousga

Just because it squeaks doesn't mean it has to be dead. I think mechanics just replace parts because it's easier to deal with the symptom and not spend the time that's needed to find the cause.

I am currently dealing with the same thing in ours. The driver's side front end squeaks every time you get in or out. I lifted the car and there is no movement side to side or front to back so the bushings are not worn out. I also grabbed the wheel and did a ball joint test, but again no movement.

I started by loosening the swaybar mount enough to grease it up with some rubber-safe grease (Green Grease) and did the same with the lower control arm bushing, but it's still squeaking. Since that did not work, I will probably take a couple of hours and pull the whole assembly out and inspect everything. I'll also pull out the coilover assembly and inspect the spring isolators. The ball joint boots aren't worn, but if I have it out I'm going to see if they are the same size as the 928 boots since they are $20/set. If they are, I'll re-pack the joints and replace the boots. I'll lube everything nicely (with Green Grease) when I put everything back together.

In the end, I think it will be the spring isolators and/or the bump-stops on the coilover assembly allowing the springs to compress too much that's causing the noise. I have a similar noise on the Dodge and I know it's the spring isolators on that since they are made of foam rubber. Talk about metal on metal contact.

If you figure it out, please let us know. I know where to get upgraded poly spring isolators and can look it up if that ends up being the problem.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote