View Single Post
Old 01-06-2017, 03:40 PM   #279
BIGJake111

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy View Post
You're thinking of it in terms of what you pay now for an used 986 S vs a Base. I bought mine 15 yrs ago (and I'm sure a lot of others here have had theirs for a while too), where there was a larger price differential between a base an S model. In addition, I really didn't read up or care about the differences. All I knew at the time was that I took a test drive, and they only had a black, silver, and yellow one at the time available for a drive, and I really liked silver, and so I test drove it (and it was a base). When I drove it, I fell in love with, and didn't even know or care there was a higher spec'd model. Over the years, I put a lot of touches that I liked into the car, and I don't regret not getting the S cause the car is really darned fun and reliable. I read about folks with S models having 2nd gear grinding or kick out issues, or cracked CV boots, and I haven't had either of these issues in my base. Through my local Porsche gathering friends, I've driven the 986S, 987S, 997S, and 996 GT3, and while they're all great, and faster than my car, my car ain't much less fun than theirs to be honest. If someone offered an even trade for their 986S for my 986 right now, I'd decline because I've had a lot of fun with mine, and like the way my car is set up. So yeah, it may not make sense to you to spend money upgrading a lower model, but that may not be how everyone thinks if they happen to like their current car.

I'm not hating on bases or personalized bases.

I'm talking about the craigslist cars in this thread with likely upwards of 5 owners and gigantic body kits.

They're also mostly wussamatics

Again I won't Jude someone for buying an auto. But I will for buying an auto then dressing it like it's out of fast and furious.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote