View Single Post
Old 01-05-2017, 09:32 PM   #4
Steve Tinker

1) Boomer,
I've been around Boxsters for over 8 years and I do all my own maintenance, but yes I would get a PPI before purchase, BUT spending several hundred dollars after me doing the scanner checks is a lot cheaper than looking over the car and then sending it for a PPI only to find the ECU has questionable data like over revs and hours run. I'm trying to sort the wheat from the chaff before getting expert opinion.

2) Pdwight,
I have the Durametric Enthusiast so only have 3 VIN lives - not an ideal situation if I want to look at a few cars ECU's.

Buying a Porsche in Australia is nothing like buying one in the US. The Indi's are very few and far between, charge as much as the Official Porsche Centres plus we only have about 10 OPC's in a country as big as the USA.
No way could you get a PPI within 2 weeks of requesting one from an Indie so by the time you book it in, the car has probably been sold. So THATS why I want a hand held scanner to verify what I'm buying before going through the hoops of organising a PPI....

So, can anyone recommend a suitable scanner, or am I condemned to using my laptop and (hopefully) not using up my VIN lives just looking??