View Single Post
Old 01-04-2017, 06:04 AM   #19
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave80GTSi View Post

...Based upon this, it seems quite apparent to me that items 11 and 12 are intended to be used as an oil drain and/or fill plug.

It would “seem” at first glance that item no. 10 could perhaps be intended for use as a fill plug, so that’s why I removed it for a look.

... they would not have used a standard hex head bolt for this function, but instead perhaps some sort of a fancy tamper-proof bolt so to discourage the casually curious folks like myself.
The Drain plug is on the bottom of the differential.
The Fill plug is on the side of the differential

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Look at my first post, 3rd picture. You can see the fill plug left of the axle flange. The drain plug is where the plastic jug is, below the axle shafts. You are looking on the gearbox, the drain and fill are on the differential. ...
Fill Plug(Make sure that you can loosen it before you drain the old oil):

Drain Plug:

Those bolts on the side of the transmission that Dave80GTSi is playing with are obviously just shills to discourage people who don't read directions from tampering with the important stuff.

I think that the intent of this thread was to point out that drilling a hole in the pan beneath the drain plug makes servicing the transmission a lot easier. (Thanks Monty)