Thread: Passing
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2016, 11:01 AM   #5
RedTele58

Jon - probably the biggest cause of the two incidents is what is happening within the dynamics of the race itself. In the first incident at turn 1, there are approximately 30 Boxsters all working their way through that turn in about a 3 second span. That's the first turn off the straight as the cars were released for the start of the race and they are all jockeying for position. You know from driving that turn that the correct place to exit the turn is right where the video car is at the 0:29 point. The #11 car is positioned correctly at the 0:21 point coming down the front straight, but is forced to stay too far right going into the turn. It looks like he's just trying to make the best out of being forced wide and still maintain some position.

It looks lie a similar thing at the 2:10 point at turn 2. Those guys are still bunched pretty tight at the start of the second lap. Coming downhill off the straight and braking and then going into that hairpin turn and positioning yourself to come out of it correctly is a challenge to me on a good day. With 4 or 5 guys all trying to be in the same place at the same time, it gets pretty crowded. I'm all for playing a good bluff to maintain (or gain) position. It's just that sometimes your bluff gets called.

Tom and some of the experienced SPB racers may have more to add to this, but in "bench racing" with some of the SPB guys, it sounds like the SPB class is a little more rough and tumble than some of the other classes. I'm slowly learning/understanding that driving a Boxster correctly is all about maintain energy, and once you give up even the slightest bit, you play hell trying to get it back.

So much to learn...

I can't wait for spring! :dance: