View Single Post
Old 12-20-2016, 01:10 PM   #27
The Radium King

i looked at doing this. even bought the lexan to fabricate the plate.

first, i researched what they were finding with the fabspeed intake on planet 9. apparently it has issues in the rain as it tends to saturate with water quite quickly.

also, there is not as much space as you might think:

- distance between inner and outer fender walls - 4". further, not a lot of room unless you pull out the rubber boot, in which case you risk sucking in a lot of dirt from the rockers.
- the 'tunnel' from the engine bay to the inner fender well - 8" long, but perhaps 3"x7" in area. i spent a bunch of time trying to find a cone or oval filter that would fit in such a small place and couldn't find anything that would work, at least without becoming a restiction in airflow - realise, the current air box IS a cold air intake, so the purpose of reinvention would be to increase filter surface area, decrease heat soak, and perhaps increase in outflow diameter so as to not restrict any downstream mods you may have made. a cone filter stuffed into the tunnel limits the amount of filter that is exposed.

futher, the tunnel is, by design, in the cabin - it is only covered by a thin layer of insulation. apparently that proved a bit of a problem in the cayman - noise if i recall. anyways, that's why i settled on the 987 airbox - a lot more filter element, less filter contact with the airbox (reduced heat soak) and better outflow. and filter changes are easy and inexpensive(ish). the frustation of the install passes after a cold beer, and the skinned knuckles heal.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote