View Single Post
Old 12-18-2016, 05:35 AM   #10
Qmulus
inveniam viam aut faciam

Quote:
Originally Posted by amagalla View Post
I know that the code is in the fob. The problem that I see is that there are TONS of fobs out there that can't be used because the owner didn't retain the programing tag with the code on it (who does). What I'm asking is; "Is there the possibility that the code is stored on one of the chips on the fob? And if so, is it recoverable if it can be read with an eprom reader?" If the programing code that is normally on the tag is stored in one of the eproms, and it's readable, that means all those paperweights are now useful fobs.
After looking into this, I am convinced that yes, a random key fob is and always will be a paperweight. The ICs used are designed so that the programming data cannot be read. You may be able to re-write them, but without knowing what data to put into them, and how to sync that data with the alarm/immobilizer module, that ability is useless as well. From what I can tell, even if you do retain the programming tag, after a certain number of key presses that data may no longer be valid. The way Porsche implemented the remote access security is very good. We should be happy about that.

Bottom line, don't lose your keys. The fobs can be repaired with new switches and cases, but you can't just pick up a random fob and program it to work in your car.