View Single Post
Old 12-16-2016, 02:54 PM   #7
BoomerRoadie

First off...to all who have responded THANK YOU for your comments.

I want to address a few of your comments now....

"Digital wrenches are not convenient on lug nuts unless they have a 'beep' like the S.O. One with a crisp 'click' is perfect." The AC Delco does have this feature. It beeps and vibrates.

"You have to consider what torque range you're going to need the most and go with that. For me I have 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 inch drives and I use the 1/2 inch drive the most." Exactly. That's why I'm asking you guys based on the work I'd like to do. In your experience, is 20-80 (usable range) good for me?

"Only use your torque wrench in the 20% to 80% of its range." I totally agree. This is why I was thinking the 4-99 ft/lbs was an adequate range (minus the lug nuts)

"For automotive work most of the torque settings are between 30-150 ft/lbs. I want 1/2" drive with a range of 25-250 or so like this one." So, in this case you would not use a torque wrench on the oil filter housing (19 ft./lbs)? Also, the oil drain plug calls for 39 ft/lbs and this fall into the unable range of the 30-150 you mentioned.

Also, I have read the reviews and asked owners of that Tekton model and they say its not very accurate in the lower range. But if your personal experience says otherwise...

I don't know if I'm over thinking this, but everyone has good advice on usable range, storage, quality, repeatability.....but when its all said and done, there sure do seem to be a large contingent of happy users of TW that don't fall into the criteria of a good tool.

So I'm confused.
BoomerRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote