View Single Post
Old 12-08-2016, 05:50 AM   #1
BoomerRoadie

Help choosing the proper oil for my next change

Hi all,

I will be doing an oil change (1997 Boxster) in January, I'm thinking towards the end of the month. The next 5000 miles should take me to about June. I live in the Phoenix area, so I'll have the cold morning startups on the way to work for a couple months and then some hot trips home at the end of the day in May/June.

I know my mechanic used Pennzoil synthetic last time he changed the oil, but I don't know the weight. This time around I'm going to do the oil change myself. Should be fun!

Can you suggest a good brand/weight for my climate? I'm not married to Pennzoil or Mobile-1 or any other, I'm more interested in know what you think would be a good weight. On the heels of this oil change, the following one would likely go from June to October or so. That's the HOT one.

I'd also be curious what you think about the appropriate oil weights for this car. The manual says 0W40 and one other type I think. I can't remember off the top of my head. Maybe the 0W40 would be good for the change in January???

Anyway, over to you guys for your suggestions.

Thanks!!
BoomerRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote