View Single Post
Old 12-03-2016, 11:14 AM   #16
MarkAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerRoadie View Post
Ok cool.

I'm a little confused then....

When I said I have about 1/8" in the front and 3/8" in the rear, I estimated this by looking through the wheel on an angle to see what I thought are the pads.

Are you saying/showing me that in order to really see the remaining pad thickness, you need to take the wheel off and look at it face on?

I can send a picture of what I think is the pad, but not until tonight. But basically I'm looking at the part that comes in direct contact with the silver disk. I can only see the outer pad.

Assuming I have this correct, based on this statement: "Rule of thumb is when the friction material is the same thickness as the backing plate, then it's time to replace." I should replace the front pretty soon, like as in the next 1000 miles or less.

The car has 37,000 miles on it.
I develop the friction for a major brake pad manufacturer and we recommend that you change your pads when they reach 3mm of thickness left. The reason is that most companies use an "under layer" beneath the main friction material. Typically, these are 1.5 to 2mm thick in the OE pads (ours too). The under layer will have some stopping ability but do not wear too well so once you reach it it will be gone quickly.

Upshot is you should change the front pads soon. Rears are ok for a little more mileage.

Mark