Thread: Remapping ECU
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2016, 12:17 PM   #10
bwdz

Tell you what the most unappreciated mod is, lightweight set of wheels. You want your car to accelerate, stop and corner better then save a few pounds a corner. The rotational weight of a wheel is so much more than just regular weight. I had a friend who did circle track and went from a 19lbs wheel to a 16lbs wheel and caught right up to the front runners. Couldn't believe the difference with just that. I just sold a set of 3 piece BBS wheels, in 16x7 they were only 15.4lbs a piece, your typical factory wheel in that size is in the 24-28lbs range. The fact that it is unsprung weight and rotational weight makes the biggest difference. Imagine you tie a string to your finger and spin it around in the air with a 25lb weight on it at 70mph and then reduce that to around 19lbs and you will know why it makes such a difference. Beauty of going with lightweight wheels is that they look great and you don't sacrifice any driveability or comfort creatures to do it. Having said all that some factory wheels are not heavy. I am putting a set of Cayman wheels on mine and the 18x8 front is 21lbs and the rears are 22.8 according to my luggage scale.
bwdz is offline   Reply With Quote