View Single Post
Old 12-01-2016, 05:45 PM   #1
BoomerRoadie

Secondary Air System (the likely culprit?)

Hello all,

I have a 1997 Boxster. The check engine like comes and goes and it's the result of the Secondary Air System (SAS) goofing up. My mechanic said it will cost about $800.00 to replace all the parts in the system. His suggestion is to do this all, because you can't really figure out exactly what part is the culprit, and you're better off just replacing everything once.

Ok fine....here's a little story.

The check engine light was off, and had been off for several weeks. About two weeks ago on a cold morning, I backed out of the garage, forgot to put the trash out and then shut down the engine DURING the 90-120 second SAS drill where it does it's thing (the time period when you can hear the SAS pump). About 10 minutes later after the trash was out, I fired up the car and BOOM! The damn Check Engine light went back on. CRAP!! 15 days later (about 7 actual driving days), the light went off again.

So...I'm thinking I caused the problem by shutting down during the SAS sequence of events and perhaps interrupted the primary valve (Kombi valve???). As a result the valve was either stuck open or closed (I'm guessing open).

If my thinking is correct, and the valve is the problem, is there a way I can access this valve and somehow persuade it to close/open appropriately? This could at least confirm what part I should replace.

Little back ground...1997 Boxster with 37,000 miles. As you can imagine the first two owners kept it shiny in they're garage, but I drive it about every other day on average. It has been very well maintained over the years and just about everything on it is in perfect working condition (except the darn SAS).

Thoughts?

Adam
BoomerRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote