View Single Post
Old 11-17-2016, 07:40 PM   #12
jakeru

I recently picked up a "Super Start Platinum" 48PLT AGM house brand battery from O-Reilly auto for my 2001 boxster base. It's an AGM battery, cranks like crazy - never faster. The old battery lasted really long time (I think 10 years!) so there is no way I can fault it, but it just eventually ran out of capacity and one day wouldn't start the car after shutting it off, and just needed replacing.

One complaint on the 48PLT model I got was, like another poster said about a different battery, it didn't come with the vent elbow (and previous elbow off other aftermarket battery wasn't a direct fit), however, the very accommodating counter salesman let me swipe a vent kit from another one of the super start batteries that did come with vent kit, so problem solved. Perfect fit, plug and play (with the added vent kit), and boy does it inspire confidence how quickly it cranks over now! Possibly 50% faster cranking speed.

I'm pretty sure I weighed the new AGM batter as being about 4 lbs and 10% heavier than the old sealed/flooded lead acid battery... 44 lbs sticks in my mind for the 48PLT. They had one size larger battery yet which also apparently would have also physically fit, which I opted against since I don't follow the train of thought that more must always be better. (I'd almost tend to have a little bit more of a lighter weight battery, considering the performance nature of the sports car, but since I daily drive it including in the winter, no regrets with a bit heavier potentially more reliable battery.)

Last edited by jakeru; 11-17-2016 at 07:45 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote