View Single Post
Old 11-16-2016, 07:19 AM   #8
PaulE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
I've had the cowl off several times and only saw one horn on the drivers side off the battery. There is definitely is no difference on both my 986.1 and 996.2 between and light press and a hard press.
The horn under the cowling near the battery is only for the alarm system. The high and low note horns that both sound together when you hit the steering wheel horn button are located behind the front bumper on the passenger side.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perspectivism View Post
Sorry to hijack. My horn stopped working. I tried pressing hard previously and there was this soft squeak. After that no more.

What could be the reason? If I were to buy to replace, I could simply buy either high or low pitch horn?

One would do?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
The horns can fail because they are very low to the ground and can fill up with water. If you go through automatic car washes that have an under-chassis spray, that may send water into the horns and cause them to fail. I haven't taken my Boxster through automatic car washes that often, but in 13 years I have had the horns fail twice and now I don't ever go to automatic car washes and haven't had any horn issues even though I drive my car in plenty of rain. You can get by with just one note and one horn, or you can use two of the same note if you like, externally they are both the same mount and electrical connection.

You might be able to get to one of the two horns without removing the front bumper cover, but the only way I have been able to get to them is to remove the front bumper cover. It is a good idea to do this every year or two anyway to clean the debris from your radiators, ductwork and in between the radiators and air conditioner condensers that are sandwiched together.

The stock replacement horns are pretty cheap from places like Pelican Parts, where I've bought mine. If you decide to "upgrade" your horns, you may need to adapt brackets and electrical connections, the wiring harness has a Porsche/VW specific female plug to plug directly to the male connection on the horn.

If you're going to remove your front bumper to clean out your radiators anyway, then you can check if the horns are bad with a test light or a replacement horn. But if you don't want to pull the bumper cover to find out that it is a fuse or the horn button, then you should do some other diagnostics to figure out what's not working! Other than checking the fuse, I'm not the guy to tell you how to do that!
PaulE is offline   Reply With Quote