Thread: Soul Searching
View Single Post
Old 11-15-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
OklahomaBoxster

Garage
Soul Searching

So, it's been forever since I've posted on here. Probably about a year, and it's because nothing really new has happened with my 99' Boxster. In the last year, I've graduated tech school, and now I'm working full time for an HVAC engineering firm. Living in the burbs' and driving 30 minutes to downtown OKC in traffic everyday in the Porsche was fun for awhile, but quickly got old. I bought a 2016 Civic in August and moved the Boxster to weekend duty only.

SO with the backstory out of the way (not that you guys remember me anyways), two days ago, I started the Boxster up and was greeted by a plume of white, watery smoke out of the exhaust. I'm definitely not a wrench. so I consulted with my father, who has swapped a transmission into this Boxster in his garage, and has worked on cars for years, so I trust his advice. He took a good look around came to the conclusion that coolant is making it's way all the way to the exhaust and is burning off, causing the smoke. His diagnosis was: best case scenario, blown head gasket. Worst case scenario: crack in the block. So the way I look at it is, the motor will have to be dropped regardless of the problem to properly repair it. The car has almost 160,000 miles on it, tiptronic tranny has around 70,000 on it, and at this point, I'm not sure I love it enough to shell out hundreds or thousands for a repair if one of the aforementioned issues is actually the problem. I fell out of love with the car awhile back and tried to sell it when it was running well, and got not one taker (I now see why) I'm still madly in love with Porsche as a brand, but I'm not sure if I'm in love with the 986 platform anymore. What I would ideally like to do is to part out the car if it is indeed not worth fixing, and use that money to pay off the rest of my Civic, and then look into purchasing a newer Porsche, as I'm making real adult money now (I'm 19)

Anyways, I'm seeking any advice that anyone here may have for anything I described above. Insight on the technical problem, experience parting out a car, or selling a broken car as a whole, at auction etc. Please feel free to ask any questions. I'd rather part out, because I have a lot of desirable tequipment and OEM extras on the car that I could sell for decent cash, and I almost have a whole spare interior sitting in my garage. Anyways, any advice is greatly appreciated, or if anyone is interested in the car I'll post pics below. It's good to be back on the forum again, and I know you guys will help me up when I'm feeling extremely down about my Boxster

Thanks,

Bryan

here she is (the red one)

OklahomaBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote