View Single Post
Old 11-06-2016, 05:15 AM   #19
Cbonilla

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gelbster View Post
For people dealing with engine failure for the first time this is a really useful reality check Post. Thank you OP.
If you have to pay for all the engine work and the while-you-have-it-apart work ,the total cost far exceeds $12,000. No mention of the cost of a replacement car in the interim !Plus upgrades to prevent some of the potential future failures ?
Important(unfortunately) to compare that $12K cost to the real world value of a Boxster. No, not the dreamy asking prices, the actual selling price. Get a trade in price from CarMax before you decide on a rebuild?
I did a diy rebuild with lots of upgrades but it certainly was not a smart financial decision.
I agree that you have to make a coldhearted decision based on dollars and cents. In my case I found a good used engine for $5k, my shop offered to install it for 2,800 + IMS bearing, so it was (slightly) less than the cost of buying a comparable car. That car would come with unknown problems and I had put a fair amout of $ into maintenance and service just a year ago. Hard decision, but one that I ultimately made in favor of an engine replacement. As the engine is in transit from California, and hasn't been installed yet, only time will tell if it was the right decision
Cbonilla is offline   Reply With Quote