View Single Post
Old 11-01-2016, 07:30 AM   #12
BIGJake111

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonomics View Post
10/10 - Porsche does their own EPA testing (most manufacturers do), and only needs to make sure the car meets US requirements for safety (airbags, seatbelts, etc), which they have already done for the 981.2 since it's selling here. Adding a different engine would just require them to do additional EPA tests, no different than they do with any other GT2/GT3/911 R. They do their own safety/crash testing.

From what I've read, the 981.2 / 718 is not an all-new chassis, just re-tuned from the 981. I doubt they'd need to retest the entire car because of an engine that weighs about the same as the existing turbo.

Also, they do not have to submit examples to the NHSTA for crash testing, it's not a requirement. The original 981 has still not been crash tested by the NHSTA or IIHS, because Porsche has not requested it (or paid for it). As far as I can tell, the last Boxster that was crash tested by the NHSTA was the 2006 987. The IIHS has never paid to crash test any Porsches.

This doesn't mean they will drop a six in the 25th anniversary model, but EPA and safety regulations certainly won't stop them from making an extra $50+ million by selling one.

And no, I prefer to smoke Arturo Fuentes cigars, not crack.

Just want to correct that the 718 is considered the 982 not 981.2 if we're going by vins.

It's a small change like the 04 to 05 but still 986 to 987.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote