View Single Post
Old 10-27-2016, 11:23 AM   #11
RedTele58

Thanks guys for all your responses to my questions. As you can see even from this small sample, there are a lot of different ways to skin a cat, or in this case, to brake a Boxster.

I know from other threads I have read that slotted rotors are considered (by many) the way to go, and I agree with the evidence of drilled rotors cracking. When I was at Hallett several weeks ago for Boxtoberfast, I figured I'd see 25 cars with slotted rotors. Nope. I saw cars with slotted rotors on all four, drilled rotors on all four, solid rotors on all four, and even mixed drilled and solid.

After this discussion, I do think I'll save the drilled rotors I have at the ready to put on one of my other Boxsters and find a set of slotted to use on the Spec car.

I do have Apex studs and nuts, so I'm good there.

Marcus and Trygve - I'll check into your brake lines suggestions compared to what I have.

Also - thanks for the comments on brake fluids.

I'll have to ponder brake pads for awhile still - lots of suggestions from you guys and they all make sense.

Regarding running square vs staggered... this is another dilemma I'll have to work through. Topless - I've read a lot of comments such as yours about running faster laps staggered, and I remember Tom Stone's comments as he transitioned from staggered to square. My newb brain sees advantages each way, and I'm thinking the real answer is almost track dependent, with staggered having the advantage on tracks with more and longer straights vs square having the advantage on tracks with more and tighter turns and corners.

I do want to thank all you guys, as I have no doubt I'll be asking many questions over the coming months as I get the car put together. I have several complete build sheets from different cars, and I'm familiar enough with the rules that I know most of what I need to do - it's the little things and individual preferences that I'll have the most questions about.

I also want to give a big shout out to Tom Stone, as he took the time a while back offline to answer a lot of my questions on home building vs buying a built car vs buying a used car and the advantages and disadvantages of each. His thread on his build, racing adventures and advice on other threads has really helped me a lot as I move forward.

Topless and Marcus - you guys are two that I always file away your advice and comments for future use - thanks.

And thanks to the rest of you too for any advice small and large - I live in a very Porsche-less part of SW Oklahoma and other than my internet buddies, I don't have anyone local I can go stand in their shop, look at what they've done to their car and seek advice.

I think I'm going to act as the "general contractor" on my build. Some I can do, other things I can't, and I'll farm out what I can't or don't want to do.

Thanks again everyone for your advice - I'll be asking for a lot more of it as I progress.

Rick