View Single Post
Old 10-25-2016, 07:48 AM   #13
heliguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbonilla View Post
I have a 2003 Boxster S that suffered a catastrophic engine failure at 105k miles. Lots of metal in the oil pan and filter. All signs are of an IMS bearing failure

My shop is willing to work with me on installing a used engine (if we can find one at a price that makes it all worthwhile).

But my shop (a well respected lcoal shop that does a lot of race prep in addition to service) feels that staying with an engine from a 2003 S will make that swap more straight forward. They also think that it should be an engine from a tiptronic.

Can you offer any insight on this? I know that I should go with an e-gas engine, so to me that says 2003 and later, but that about exhausts my knowledge

What differences are there between 2003 and 2004 or later engines? What difference does the tranny it wa mated with make? Are these significant and would they make the job harder?

To keep costs down I would even consider a 2.7, as they may be more common and cheaper.
Would any thing other than an egine from a 2003 S Tiptronic require changing the car's electronics -- I know these are expensive parts so if we can use the ones now in the car it would probably help
Anything else I should be thinking of?

Just trying to figure out my options and costs. Rest assured that if we go this route it will get an upgraded IMS bearing before it gets installed.

Any idea on what I should expect to pay for compatible engines?

Thank you,

Carlos (who is not a very happy Porsche customer - this failure has left a sour taste in my mouth)
What part of Maryland are you in? Also read my experience on engine replacement, "$10,916.83 later".
heliguy is offline   Reply With Quote