Thread: Coolant leak
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2016, 08:09 PM   #1
I_like_tacos

Coolant leak

Hey all. I have a 2003 base with approx 72,000 miles. The car has been running great and I'm loving it.
However, I took the car out yesterday for a short drive and after returning home briefly parked the car in front of my house in order to switch cars in the driveway. After returning both cars I noticed a rather large puddle underneath where I had parked the car and drops on the pavement leading away in the direction I had driven. Since it was dark I decided to wait until morning to inspect. The next morning the puddle, (appearing to be coolant), was much larger underneath the car. I had to work all day and was unable to investigate. This morning, (now approx 36 hours since I noticed the leak), I went outside and checked the coolant reservoir. Bone dry. I put some coolant in the reservoir tank and lifted the car. The leak started again immediately. I crawled underneath and checked the hoses but the leak appears to be coming from the water pump. With a bit of cursing, I pulled out the water pump. The pulley spins freely and the plastic teeth are all intact.
My question is, could this leak still be from a faulty water pump? Could it the gasket? What are your thoughts? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
I_like_tacos is offline   Reply With Quote