View Single Post
Old 10-19-2016, 09:54 PM   #15
jakeru

I had a car (race-prepped custom shocks) that "topped out", and when it happened, it was absolutely brutal - almost enough to knock the wind out of you over certain bumps at freeway speed! So I do agree not to overlook the possibility of the shock "topping out". Although the ride height picture you posted seemed to show a fairly low ride height to my eye, so it's hard to know for sure that's what's going on, but who knows, but maybe those shocks really are designed to be run at a really low ride height (or, maybe they're just poorly designed - always a possibility with aftermarket products, especially compared to genuine Porsche high-quality parts!)

You might measure the deflection from max extension to normal weighted ride height, and make sure the deflection is reasonable. I'd look for 2" mininum. If too short of a distance, the shock will "top out" - where you run out of extension travel before the spring are close to unloading, which causes a sudden acceleration. In my case, I remember it being most noticeable driving at high speed when you go over certain elevated highway joints that caused the surface to suddenly drop. On working shocks, you don't think anything of it, with topping out shocks, it becomes a section of roadway to consider avoiding. Topping out shocks are not good for handling, too. In my case, car dramatically handled better after redoing the macstrut housing design to place the shock at a more better, more centered position. Hope that helps - good luck!

Last edited by jakeru; 10-19-2016 at 10:03 PM.
jakeru is offline   Reply With Quote