Thread: Repaint or not?
View Single Post
Old 10-17-2016, 11:34 AM   #14
particlewave
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckob View Post
Did have the bumper re-painted. Looking back after a three years it was a mistake.

I didn't like the paint job when it was done. I felt it was just a bit off. The painter said it's hard to be exact on an older car because the original paint had faded. Sounds reasonable. Of course he could have told me that before he painted and took my money.

So now three years later, the car has faded more, since no longer have a garage, and it's fading differently than the bumper. Now the color looks completely off, and the new paint chips easier and flakes easier than the original ever did. I should have left it alone, the small dent was much less noticeable than mis-matched paint.

Lesson learned. Original paint is much better than anything that can be done by most paint shops.
Did he at least give you a reach around?

You are at least partly to blame, too. There's no reason for driving away with a paint job that you weren't happy with. I would have made him fix it.

While color matching can be an issue, any good painter can handle it and there is no excuse for the peeling. Your painter is a flippin' moron.
I repaired my rear bumpers paint myself using OEM matched rattle cans of paint from automotivetouchup.com. It took a while and I had to sand back and try again a few times, but I got it feathered in and now you would never know there was a repair done (unless you're a pro and look very closely).

Last edited by particlewave; 10-17-2016 at 11:40 AM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote