View Single Post
Old 10-13-2016, 11:19 AM   #16
rczap

I would like to put my 3.2 cents worth in. I recently bought a 2002 "S" for $5900. I was desperate to keep up with my buddy who was buying 911's like nobody's business. We were going to Porsche gatherings and I was a passenger. I couldn't afford a 911, thought about a 928, but decided on this Boxster. 195k miles are on it. the body and paint is in damn good shape. The interior is close to perfect. The car had a CEL on, I had a scan tool so I checked it out. Bank 1 Cam Pos Sensor. I looked the car over myself and did not want to spend the money on a PPI. I went ahead and bought the car. Now I have replaced both Cam Pos Sensors, because after replacing the first I got a code for the other side. That didn't go away so I was past my ability and took it to a reputable local shop. $3k later the car is fine, runs like a bat outta hell and I was able to get it registered. I think I understand what the O.P. is worrying about. This is a really cool car, I want it, but what happens if it ends up needing all this work that I cant really afford? These cars are total luxuries, I understand why some people say you need to have plenty of cash in your pocket ready to spend. These things are German engineered, that means they were able to put a lot of stuff(technical term) in a small space. It is hard to get to, took my mechanic 10 hours to replace the Cam Adjustment Solenoid. So now I am 9k into it and I am ok with that. If something more spectacular happens well then, I may have to get a loan to buy that 3.6, because that would make this car even more awesome! I am not getting rid of it.
rczap is offline   Reply With Quote