View Single Post
Old 10-11-2016, 09:49 PM   #44
TrumpyAl

OK, I need to pull my finger out here.

The poor thing has been sitting here for nearly a year now and this is getting somewhat unhealthy! IMS don't like that. And to make matters worse, I am going to move home some time in the next four weeks.

I would dearly love some information on my next move as I believe that there are plenty of (expensive) traps for the unwary punter. I will create some specific posts for each topic, but wanted to update here first - partly to help me collect my thoughts as life is very hectic and rather stressful at the moment.

So, to summarise...and update with recent information.
  • Car is a MY02 986 Boxster S which has had a 2000 - 2002 2.7L put in place of the original 3.2L.
  • The car came with two DME's, one marked 'original', and the other marked as 'New, imported from USA'. They each have the same part numbers, and both behave identically.
  • It came to me not cranking, and I replaced the Ignition switch.
  • The car was then cranking but not quite starting so I threw a set of plugs at it and refreshed the fuel.
  • Still not starting, though it clearly fires on one or two cylinders it seems. It is blowing black smoke after cranking for a while so I know that I'm getting fuel and spark.
  • I buy a Durametric unit and pull consistent Crank Angle Sensor codes so I replace that.
  • Codes go away, but no change in behaviour when cranking.
  • I purchase a workshop manual and the 101 Projects for your Boxster books.
  • Disconnecting the MAF makes no difference.
  • I've just very carefully refreshed the fuel again, and checked fuel pressures a couple of weeks ago and they check out 100% ok. I can even see the injectors firing as it cranks - the needle twitches as you'd expect it to at cranking speeds.
  • Interestingly, disconnecting the fuel pump relay means that the fuel pressure gradually drops to zero - but at no time does the car start and run. Perhaps the plugs are already fouled by this stage so even if it does momentarily have a correct air/fuel mixture, it won't fire. Instead, it eventually settles into an even crank, as you would expect.
  • Disconnecting the fuel pump relay and using an outside fuel source (e.g. aerostart) gives the same symptoms of occasionally firing, buit nowhere near starting.

So, I have one last check to perform before I'm planning to purchase a 2.7L DME/immobilizer/Ignition set for the car. This is to check that the camshaft timing is correct - a relatively simple task although I'd like to have the replacement plugs on hand first.

I've gotten very used to the idea of being a Boxster owner, it would be very nice to almost be a Boxster driver!

Al.