View Single Post
Old 10-06-2016, 08:39 PM   #14
Pdwight

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichRobby View Post
I just had this today on my 3.2 Boxster S

I now have a bad engine mis-fire.

I rang my local in dependant garage and he said it would be OK to drive home (I was 40 miles away).

The questions are:

Anybody any idea what the problem might be?

Should I invest in a Durametric to get the codes and therefore might I be able to do some of the repair work myself or should I just take it to the indy garage for them to sort out?

Any help appreciated
This is a big open ended question . I thought I had done sufficient research when I purchased my Boxster almost 4 years ago but I had not. I had been working on my E36 for some time, but the Porsche seemed like an Alien contraption to me....but I was determined. The big deal (to me) working on your own car is you know the quality of the work being done.....you know when you repair something and do it right it is repaired and not a "Band Aid" job. I purchased a durametric right after I got my Boxster, but a WIFI or Blue tooth device you can get for 20 bucks will tell you a ton of information and not break the bank. A misfire could be as simple as a bad plug or a bad coil pack....or even a bad connection. Jump in , take your time and learn your car....it will be rewarding.

A few tips from an old guy FWIW

Always put screws/small parts in containers to keep track of them

If unsure label and take photos with your phone before you take anything off

Keep your work area as clean as possible and clean as you go

Best of luck
Dwight
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote