View Single Post
Old 10-02-2016, 02:31 PM   #12
78F350
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Mike, I'll answer your pm'ed question here, because it seems relevant to the discussion.

The car you mentioned seems to be cared for and well maintained, with the IMSB and many other issues addressed. Mileage can be a factor in a few ways. These cars generally need attention to a few things around 100K miles: Suspension, top, seals, clutch, and brakes most often need to be replaced by then if not earlier. If you buy a lower mile car that is about to come in to all that maintenance, you are about to get hit with some big bills. It seems that most of that has been paid on this car and it should be good for a while.
On the other hand all machines wear out eventually and the lower mile and younger the car, the more wear *you* can put on it before the end.
Even with a true 'low mile' 986 there are some parts that may just be degraded from age or lack of use. Generally these just need a few items refreshed if they haven't already been tended - old tires, bushings, cooling system, hoses....

I recently bought a Cayenne and my local market was very limited. Two that I looked at were the same year, similarly equipped and priced, but there was a 35,000 mile difference between the two. I chose the higher mile one because it had dealer maintenance records and had clearly had the common problems addressed. The other one potentially had some trouble lurking that could have easily ran into thousands to have addressed. ...and the seller was either unaware or evasive when questioned.

Last edited by 78F350; 10-02-2016 at 02:54 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote