View Single Post
Old 10-01-2016, 08:51 PM   #1
Pdwight

Brake pads and shims

I want to revisit this, so pardon if this has been covered to death and rehashed like a Taylor Swift vocal. My brakes on my S are two years old, I used Red Stuff pads and 90%+ remain as they have less than 5K miles on them. I do seemed to have very noisy brakes in the past summer and they were stone silent for over a year an half after I did my brake job. The noise or squeal comes only on very light braking like when you are backing in or maneuvering in a parking lot. High speed braking is stone quiet and dead straight with no vibration ( during the brake job I installed new Bosh rotors all the way around). But now with the new noise it is so annoying I have purchased all new components , New Akebono ceramic pads, new hardware including the strange adhesive backed shims and new springs and pins. Before I dive into this I have read that some do not even replace the shims ??

So my question is Install new pads and let them ride against the pistons directly or what ??

I Like the Red Stuff pads, I have had them on my E36 for over 5 years and 35K miles with no noise or problems.

I sincerely appreciate the help.

Dwight
Pdwight is offline   Reply With Quote