View Single Post
Old 09-27-2016, 05:11 PM   #1
mnc-i

Never a Dull Moment

Like airplane crashes, problems with my ‘99 Boxster happen in threes.
1) You all might remember that I had an alternator failure last month. Using my ‘101 Projects for Your Boxster,’ my 986 Bentley Manual, and YouTube videos I was able to remove the old alternator, but installing the new alternator was too difficult for me. After a few hours of cussing like a sailor, I ended up having my local mechanic install it for me.
2) Two weeks ago while driving the interstate highway home from work I had a blowout on one of my rear tires. No problem. I quickly replaced it with the space-saver spare and was on my way again when the spare fell-apart. I plan on seeing Woody tomorrow afternoon to get a replacement for the space-saver spare.
3) This morning on the way to work I got a whiff of burning oil. I arrived at work before the sun rose so I could not see the source. That afternoon before I hit the road home, I checked and could see I had a class-3 oil leak on the driver’s side just ahead of the leading edge of the rear tire. When I got home I jacked up the car and removed the rear tire. It looks like the oil is coming from the center sparkplug. About two years ago I changed two sparkplug tubes on the passenger side when I had an oil leak on that side, but it wasn’t the tubes. It was a bad oil sending unit. Now if I can only remember where I put that boat plug. I have four new sparkplug tubes and tomorrow I will get some jack stands and replace the tube.

All these problems would be troubling if not for the fact that I have over 287,000 miles on the car.
So I am not complaining, I just wanted to share:-)
MNC-I
mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote