View Single Post
Old 09-27-2016, 12:01 PM   #6
BirdDog

Here's my responses to that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need_for_speed View Post
1. You cannot drive this car without smiling. I know this because my wife, who rides with me frequently, tells me I'm grinning like an idiot. I've let a few of my friends drive my car (trying to be a good Porsche ambassador) and, sure enough, the Boxster smile appears -- usually around the top end of second gear as the tach crests over 4,000.
Agreed. Lord help me, I've tried not to smile. Can't be done...

Quote:
2. The 986 is a $20,000 car. Regardless of what you paid for it at the outset, you will spend a minimum of $20k on this car. I helped a friend buy a 986 (one of those same friends who drove mine). I warned him. He paid $12K, and immediately put another $5K into it. The next round will cost him around $3K. Pay it now, or pay it later. It's a $20K car.
That I've spent $34K on. LOL

Quote:
3. OMG. The price of parts.
I SO agree...

Quote:
4. Exactly 257 people have told me I own a hairdresser's car. I am told this at stoplights, in parking lots, and at the gas station. My response is always the same: I bend over laughing, slap my knee, and say "That's hilarious...never heard that one before!"
I have never once heard this in person. Never. Not once.

Quote:
5. Exactly 118 people have told me my car is not a real Porsche because it's not a 911. No. It's not a 911. It's better.
Another one I have never heard in person. Not once. But I agree it's better! Mid engine baby! But I have to add that 911's are awesome too!

Quote:
6. Guys in big, jacked-up "bro" trucks with off-road tires and too many LED lights love to tailgate me, or pull up within millimeters of my trunk at stoplights and rev the engine.
Ok, I'm starting to think you need to move to another state. Do you live in Detroit or something?

Quote:
7. Speaking of trucks, I'm tired of fat, gap-toothed rednecks in beat up Dodge Ramchargers coming up to me at the gas station and asking me if I want to trade cars.
Guys in big trucks are always coming up to me and telling me how much they love my car. I always tell them to get one, that they're dirt cheap now. I warn them about the parts though...

Quote:
8. Everyone wants to drag race. Everyone. Minivans. Camrys. It's ridiculous. Mustangs are the worst.
This has only happened to me twice in 3 years. I respond by giving them a friendly wave or a thumbs up while pointing to their car and then pretending to play with the climate controls... leaning over and pretending to adjust the carpet on the passenger side until the light changes works well too...

Quote:
9. In all my other cars, I would listen to music or news while driving. I have never turned on the radio in this car. I don't even know if it works.
These cars have radios?

Quote:
10. One last thing: I cannot walk away from this car in the parking lot without looking back. Just can't do it.
Just like the not smiling thing, walking away without looking back is not physically possible.