Thread: Brake pad wear
View Single Post
Old 09-23-2016, 06:36 PM   #1
Merlotsj

Brake pad wear

History - 2005 Boxster S, purchased Apr 2015, great service records. Ran about a dozen auto crosses and 2 HPDEs, brake wear indicator lit up, replaced rotors and pads (EBC Yellow) at all 4 corners on January 30th. HPDE x 3 at Laguna Seca, 6 auto crosses, total of about 5 K miles since. Replaced tires, had 4 wheel alignment (more track oriented/less street requested) and some other work at my independent shop last week. They told me my brakes had plenty of life left - I also did a pre-HPDE visual and confirmed this.

Last Saturday and Sunday I ran the Thunderhill 5 mile track, HPDE A group as first time on this track - skid pad, figure 8, etc. both days, and on track passing exercise, etc. so I only had a few laps each day of fast runs. About 10 minutes into my 3rd session Sunday my brake wear indicator lights up.

I ordered pads Monday, they came in yesterday, pulled 1 rear, doesn't need replacement. Pulled the front on the same side - outer pad is worn just about to the sensor, inner is at about half life. Pulled the other side front tonight, both pads at about half life.

Do I need to have the caliper rebuilt? Should I just clean it up good and keep an eye on it? Anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks,

Mike
Merlotsj is offline   Reply With Quote