Thread: 2004 Boxster S
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2016, 07:28 AM   #1
jliu

2004 Boxster S

I am new to the Porsche world. Always wanted one but never really committed to purchasing one. I had many different sport cars in the past, including a z4, WRX, Miata(turbo / supercharged). Currently I have a 2014 370Z. So I recently sold my 2012 Miata retractable hard top and decided to get a Boxster.

I found a 2004 Boxster S with one owner and only 27,xxx miles. I will be looking at this car this Sunday. I am pretty much aware of the inherent problems with the 986. If I ended up purchasing this vehicle I plan to have the IMS / clutch / RMS replaced. I have gotten quotes from different independent shops for this job. I was surprised the quotes ranged from $2500 to $5000. This vehicle appears to be in excellent condition based on the photos. What do any of you suggest to look for when I see the car? I know the basic stuff like the operation of the soft top, check the condition of the oil, look under the oil cap to make sure there is no "oil/water residue" . But stuff like the water pump and the belt can't be access easily. Also, I have a regular OBDII scanner. Will it work on the Boxster?

Thanks
jliu is offline   Reply With Quote