View Single Post
Old 09-14-2016, 07:13 PM   #1
madmodz

Fitted bigger disc on the S

I was looking into putting larger rotors on the base model. I also have a S model sitting in the shop. I scavenged the local Porsche dealer scrap bin and borrowed some rotors for measurements. I did find some 14" 350mm Cayenne disc in there as well as some other sizes.
These are very large(thick) and heavy. They will never fit in the calipers base or S model. You would have to use the cayenne calipers, which by the way are not radial mounted. They mount on the sides instead from the top like ours.

I searched and read every brake post on here. I also read other posts about boxster brake conversions for other car models. I wasn't aware how popular the base model calipers were with conversions. Many companies make kits which allow these calipers to work on other car brands and even mount them horizontal instead of radial using L shaped brackets.

One of the interesting post I found was a guy modifying the caliper to fit the thicker disc on his car. It was a VW model. He had to grind down the pad retainer pins.

So here are 4 rotors. From small to large: base, S model, Carrera S and cayenne.
The cayenne would require machining to open up the bore, plus it uses a different retaining setup vs our 2 screw retainers. Plus its extremely thick so it would require a caliper change. The Carrera S rotor shows major promise.

So the base calipers are too narrow. So I pulled off a S caliper and grinded down the retainer pins like I saw in another thread about modding them. I got them to fit the rotors.

Now I got find longer bolts and use washers to space out the caliper before I machine a spacer.

Help me identify that rotor please

Last edited by madmodz; 09-17-2016 at 09:02 AM.
madmodz is offline   Reply With Quote