View Single Post
Old 09-13-2016, 01:33 PM   #10
911monty

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slate 01 View Post
Okay, I think I am totally confused. I was curious because I was running Porsche spec'd 10/40W Mobil 1. Now Walmart is selling 0/40W Mobil 1 (Porsche spec'd) for a heck of a price (5 gal for $22.58, okay I'm a cheap bastardo always looking for a deal). My oil is changed every 3 to 4K miles. So with winter approaching (if you want to call it winter in California) I thought getting an oil that gets less thick as it cools, should I really be that concerned.

So, should I be a cheap bastardo under my particular circumstances ?
These are my opinions only! The oil commercials are somewhat misleading when they state 0 viscosity oil gets there quicker on startup. Let me throw this out there. The oil pump in your engine is a POSITIVE DISPLACEMENT gear pump, hence the need for an oil pressure relief valve. This means that for each revolution of the pump a precise volume is moved unless there is blockage, then the relief valve opens preventing overpressure and damage. This also means that any viscosity oil that can flow without the relief valve opening will arrive at the exact same time. Since we live in temps where the relief valve is not likely to open IMO 0W is not REQUIRED, If you wish to run it is also ok. Now if you live where you're starting your car @ 0 and below then it is required.

Last edited by 911monty; 09-13-2016 at 01:42 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote