View Single Post
Old 08-31-2016, 08:56 AM   #4
onefasazn

Did a Bridgestone driving education event a few weeks ago here in the bay, and to my surprise, they were making a big push this year for the Firestone brand. The Indy 500 was one of the tires we got to use. Upon learning that this was spiritual successor to the Potenza RE760 Sport, I was very interested in getting my hands on a set as I loved my RE760s when I had them.

I was pleasantly surprised by the dry and wet grip of the tire, and we were able to push them pretty well on the autox course. I didn't get much experience with them outside of the autox, but one of the drills we did were a succession of runs by two teams of 10 people on the tires in the dry. Tires were on BMW 328s and we all beat the crap out them, some more so than others. At the end of the 20 laps, the tires were not chunked at all. I got to take the car out one last time and the tires still performed beautifully, pretty controlled and predictable at the limit.

I now have a set on my WRX wagon, and have driven on them from the Bay to Socal. Had zero issues, and the tires made about average road noise. I'm used to loud tires as I tend to run sticky tires on the street here and these were nowhere near as loud as r-comps I've run before.

I'm going to be putting a set on my Box once the car is ready for the track, as I am starting off by building it for Global Time Attack Enthusiast class. Minimum UTQG rating in class is 220, and the Indy 500s are 340. We'll see how they fare on the track.
onefasazn is offline   Reply With Quote