View Single Post
Old 08-29-2016, 05:59 AM   #1
Need_for_speed

Overheating 2000S...a cautionary tale.

This just makes me want to cry.
A friend of ours paid a visit a few weeks ago, and he saw my 2000 base and asked if he could take it a for a short spin. Long story short, he fell in love with the car and asked if I could help him find one.

As luck would have it, I found a nice little 2000S with around 50k miles selling for $12k. Pretty good shape, hadn't been driven much lately. It did have a CEL, worn out rear tires, and brake pads pretty close to done. Other than that, the test drive was good...temp needle stayed right on the 180 mark, no suspicious engine noises...the only thing I noticed was that it idled a little high while warm -- around 800 rpm. We did a PPI which uncovered a P0507 code. Other than that, no issues.

He really wanted this car, so we had a long talk. I gave him the standard list of things that should be done right away: flush all the fluids, brake job, tires, and take care of that 507 code. But most importantly, TAKE IT TO AN EXPERIENCED PORSCHE INDIE SHOP. I gave him the phone numbers for two well-regarded shops near him.
So what does he do? Gosh, those Porsche shops were ridiculously expensive, so he takes it to Joe Sackadonut's Cheap Auto Repairs.

Well, my buddy's driving the car home from the shop and next thing you know the temp light starts flashing and the needle starts climbing past 200. He pulls over and shuts it off and the car proceeds to urinate coolant all over the side of the road.
So what does he do? Has the car towed back to Joe Sackadonut's, who tells him the thermostat must be bad.

Please just shoot me now...
Need_for_speed is offline   Reply With Quote