View Single Post
Old 08-26-2016, 12:09 PM   #5
husker boxster

I can't compare to a BMW but I've owned 3 987Ss and all 3 have been some of the most reliable cars I've owned - I'm 57 and have owned a lot of cars. However the 2 I currently own are now entering that age and mileage zone where things might start happening. We'll see... $2K is about right for a clutch job on a Porsche.

Without turning this into an IMS thread, if you buy an 06-08 Boxster the IMS will be the newer, bigger design that is more reliable and doesn't need to be replaced. An 05 may or may not have the newer design as Porsche changed mid-yr in 05 to the new design. Some will argue if you're buying a 100K mi car the IMS will be worn out already even if it's the newer design. Some people have gotten 100K+ miles out of the old design. Something you need to consider, I'm not getting into that debate. If you read up on IMS, just remember the info is more on the older style (2001-2005) that fails at approx. a 10% rate vs the newer one that fails at approx. 1%. There are LOTS of threads on this topic but don't be frightened off by it. I follow the topic fairly close on P-9 and there hasn't been a confirmed IMS failure in years (there may have been 1 recently but the guy never came back to say for sure it was IMS). Not sure if some people jump on to stir the pot, but it's a rare occurrence in a 987.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote