View Single Post
Old 08-26-2016, 06:03 AM   #18
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
This is good to hear! I upgraded the cooler on your statements that it's the best upgrade to do for your car! I agree with it's a must do upgrade since it can transfer much more heat than the smaller cooler which certainly helps the engine internals. I do believe that it is really an exchanger and can exchange heat in both directions. I would think the coolant heats faster and can help warm the oil on startup. The one piece of this puzzle that I'm unsure of is, does oil temp on the Durametric actually indicate oil temp. I know the level transmitter has an oil temp sensor, but there is conflicting info on if it is actually measured or it is only used to backup oil level.
What I have observed is my oil temp on the Durametric is usually 3-5 deg higher than the oil temp on the AC panel which is extrapolated from water temp. So I have been basing my observations on that. So what I see is water 180 then oil is 183 durametric and so on. i know you have a lot better data since the 996 engines actually read oil temp.
Durametric is reading the oil temperature using the sensor in the oil level unit, and it is accurate. The AC display, on the other hand, is not as accurate.