View Single Post
Old 08-25-2016, 06:16 PM   #16
911monty

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
You are overlooking the fact that your oil is always hotter than your coolant, otherwise an oil to coolant cooler would not work. Even in the dead of winter, your oil is hotter than 200F, even with a low temp stat and the larger oil cooler. We have customers running low temp stats and using the cars in zero and sub zero F environs; UOA's show no adverse levels of water our fuel contamination whatsoever.
This is good to hear! I upgraded the cooler on your statements that it's the best upgrade to do for your car! I agree with it's a must do upgrade since it can transfer much more heat than the smaller cooler which certainly helps the engine internals. I do believe that it is really an exchanger and can exchange heat in both directions. I would think the coolant heats faster and can help warm the oil on startup. The one piece of this puzzle that I'm unsure of is, does oil temp on the Durametric actually indicate oil temp. I know the level transmitter has an oil temp sensor, but there is conflicting info on if it is actually measured or it is only used to backup oil level.
What I have observed is my oil temp on the Durametric is usually 3-5 deg higher than the oil temp on the AC panel which is extrapolated from water temp. So I have been basing my observations on that. So what I see is water 180 then oil is 183 durametric and so on. i know you have a lot better data since the 996 engines actually read oil temp.

Last edited by 911monty; 08-25-2016 at 06:33 PM.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote