View Single Post
Old 08-24-2016, 12:01 PM   #8
particlewave
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dghii View Post
I'd cut to the chase if if was yoiu. These cars are know to go through ignition switches. Light switches are also prone to fail (if you take one apart it is VERY apparent why).

1. Do your ignition switch. It's a $15 part that will fail anyway. It may take you a bit of time if you've never done one before but in all actuality, it's about a 20-30 minute job.

2. Pull your headlamp assemblies out and remove access covers. Inspect wiring for crumbling insulation. Very common and will cause lights not to work.

3. Make sure your headlight assemblies are making with the tray connector. sometimes the connector flexes back a bit when you insert the assemblies and you don't get a good connection.

4.. Pull your headlight switch and either replace with know good one (used is A LOT cheaper) or pull your switch apart and clean all the contacts. It can be done and has worked on my car for over a year (my headlights were hit and miss).
This is excellent advice and the OP would be wise to follow it.
My first ignition switch change took all of 5 minutes and they are not expensive.

The headlight switch can often be saved as noted above. You don't even have to disassemble it
Pull it out of the car and spray contact cleaner into it while switching it back and forth to work the carbon off of the internal contacts.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote