View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 04:51 PM   #9
Racer Boy
Racer Boy

I just replaced my alternator this weekend. It is a pain, like most anything related to the engine on the is car (other than oil changes and dropping the oil sump). I found a local Advance Auto Parts that had the alternator in stock, so I was good to go.

Just as an aside, the reason I replaced the alternator was because of a ratcheting noise coming from the engine compartment. I read up on it using the search forum, and the one-way bearing (or clutch) on the alternator can make that noise when they start going bad. The symptoms I was having matched exactly the threads on this issue; the noise is only when decelerating, or steady throttle, it's a clacking or ratcheting sound, and so on. I ordered a pulley from Pelican Parts, and got the special tool from eBay. Once I got into the project, I realized that I needed a long T50 bit, so I got that as well. The pulley was on so tight that I stripped the torx bolt, so that is why I ended up replacing my alternator.

But of course it didn't fix the noise! Times like this I really miss my Miata. At least I now have a new alternator and drive belt, and discovered that the water-pump has been replaced recently.
Racer Boy is offline   Reply With Quote