View Single Post
Old 08-22-2016, 03:46 PM   #8
mnc-i

Here is the follow up on my alternator replacement:
I was able to remove the alternator after first using a liberal amount of WD40 on the bushing.
After speaking with representatives from Suncoast, ******************************************** and a parts company in Fort Worth, I discovered that for my 1999 Boxster there is only one alternator. I think some later models (not the 986 series) may have some type of locking pulley on the alternator (This pulley design comes with a free wheel lock {similar to a clutch}, standard equipment on all cars with manual transmission. #99760315400 Alternator pulley manual transmission)
Here are a few things I’ve learned during this alternator extraction: 1) The alternator is larger and heavier than I expected; 2) I had forgotten how heavy my seats are [I took the passenger seat out] and I recommend doing so to better access the alternator; 3) I also recommend using an old sheet or blanket to protect your carpet. I have a savannah beige interior and I’ve pretty much ruined the carpet behind the passenger seat.
Since my Boxster is non-mission capable until the alternator comes in, I’ve decided now is as good a time as any to clean my throttle-body. So today after work I stopped by my local Porsche dealer [new management, new owner, new name] to order gaskets for the throttle-body (O-ring and idle control valve gasket). Here is what I learned from my visit: 1) Under new ownership this dealership seems to be 100-times better; 2) They needed my Vin # in order to ensure they order the correct parts. Since I had had my car serviced there earlier, I assumed they could pull up the Vin # on their computer. I thought wrong. The old dealer took all the customer records with them when they sold the dealership. So I had to call my insurance company in order to provide my Vin #; 3) The workers and the parts manager greeted me when I walked in and no one was condescending. I always felt like I was considered a second-class citizen (986 driver) whenever I visited the old dealership. The parts manager even recommended that I clean the throttle-body with SeaFoam instead of carburetor cleaner; 4) Since my Boxster is 17 years old, most dealers my not stock certain parts unique to my year Boxster.
I am a happy camper with a better outlook on my local Porsche dealer. I will be really happy once the alternator comes in from O’Reilly’s and I am back to driving the Boxster.
MNC-I
mnc-i is offline   Reply With Quote