View Single Post
Old 06-29-2006, 07:52 PM   #5
der Geist

I am using the Continentals now and am very happy with them. I think I will have to find something else though for the winter. Maybe some Michelins.

My car was also shimmy-ing at 70 MPH. I took it in and had the wheels spin balanced. According to the service manager the weights on the rims were off by appr. 2 ounces. Shimmy-ing is completely gone now. You may want to check on the warranty on the tires. Belt separations do happen but I don't think they are very common. I would think that a belt seperation would be covered under the tires warranty though and you would at least be able to get a partial (pro-rated) credit. Maybe somebody could correct me if I am wrong but I thought that belt separations were always visible in the tire?

You may also want to take it to another shop for a second opinion about the tires. Did the other shop that told you you had belts seperating tell you how dangerous that can be? If you do have a partial belt seperation the tire could go anytime without warning. Very dangerous especially at 70 MPH. Who remembers those Firestone 500's?

'03 Midnight Blue
18" Chromes//Drilled and slotted rotors//pedal upgrade//Alum. Door sills//KSPORT Coilovers//Short Shifter/Strut braces/Clear sides/Hard Top/Speedster humps/Intake//Leather GT3 seats/REVO chip with SPS2
'04 CLK55 AMG 367HP!
'86 944 Guards Red & MINT!
'69 911 Black
PCA Member -Northern Ohio
Cancer Survivor
der Geist is offline   Reply With Quote